Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Three more sleeps. Three more sleeps, a move starting at 6 a.m. on Thursday, and a 12 hour flight complete with 2-hour stopover in Vancouver. Three more sleeps. Two more teaching days. That's 14 classes, 4 cookie parties, 36 report cards, and 12 acheivement certificates. Three sleeps.

It's more exciting than Christmas. Than my birthday. Three more sleeps.

Last week, last Thursday, I believe, the head teacher (Thomas) told me that we needed to move to a different apartment. He told me we had two choices for days. The first, October 31st, was impossible as we will be in Calgary and not remotely close to Seoul at all. The second, October 24th, is our departure date. While inconvenient, I told Thomas that we could move before 1:00 p.m. on the 24th, but that we needed to stop then, lest I suffer anxiety attacks all the way to the airport. So we spent the weekend preparing for a stressful Friday move, wishing the whole time it could have been sooner. Well, as luck would have it, Thomas told me today that we can move on Thursday morning instead. As my first class is at 11, we have plenty of time, so long as we start at 6 a.m.

It will be a joy to experience the intricacies of an apartment move in Seoul. We actually have a moving company helping us. Two trucks, 3 guys, and a crane. You see, Korea has what I see as a very unique moving system, at least compared to what I know of crews of young 20 somethings in blue uniforms in Canada. First, the movers pull up in a couple of rather small looking trucks. Then they set up a crane in front of your place, pop out the windows, load everything onto a skid, and haul it down out of the building, into the truck. No stair carries here. We're moving from a third floor apartment into a second floor one, so we still won't be experiencing the view from one of the massive complexes in Seoul. I swear they have apartment buildings here the size of Eaton's Centre.

Time to go for that first sleep. And tomorrow will be spent packing, and worrying about what to do with the cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home