Monday, September 29, 2003

Chubby came to his senses.

For the first time my Korean experience, niceness and sensibility prevailed. The director of my school paid careful attention to details, showed some problem solving abilities, and agreed to let Toby and I have October 27th off. We fly out of Seoul's Incheon airport at 4:20 p.m. on October 24th, and arrive, funnily enough, in Calgary at the same time, the same day. Amazing really, that tricky international date line. Departure again for Seoul is 6:45 a.m. on November 1, thus giving us a full week at home to visit, shop, and marvel at the vast open spaces. Not to mention the clean air. And beer that tastes like beer... and affordable wine. I had both red and white wine on the weekend. Twas grand. It was the first time since February.

So my original idea was to have a nice quiet night at home with the fam on arrival day, then perhaps meet some friends for a drink later on. Instead, I talked to my mom about getting tickets to the only Flames game while I'm in town. Hockey is a real rarity for us here, or at least it was last winter in Gumi. We managed to catch two periods of a semi-final game in the playoffs, but that was it. Maybe this winter will be better now that we're in Seoul, with the bajillion high class hotels with western themed bars. The Canadian Chambre of Commerce must help us stay rooted somehow. Anyway, this may be the new plan of action, with the potential for going out afterwards for an hour or two still in place. We'll see how things shape up. I do miss my cat a lot.

Now to stop with the procrastination, and work on some ideas for motivating my students. I have these two middle school classes that have suddenly stopped talking. I teach conversation classes. It's a bit hard when no one wants to say anything.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home