Wednesday, February 11, 2004

If I have to hear ONE more stubby, short, greasy Korean guy say that a woman's role is the pursuit of beauty I'm going to scream!

Normally, I try to subtly turn the idea of women as objects or second class citizens here around on my students, but today I was entirely without tact. The student is named David, and he's a fairly smart guy. He studied economics in university, and he actually seems to understand what he learned (unlike the vast majority of Korean students who only memorize and regurgitate). He's trying to get into graduate school in the US, and I've helped him with his applications a little. So anyway, today in one breath he told us, a classroom filled with 7 women, that our role is the pursuit of beauty. He then turned around, and in the next breath told us that women who are trained and educated are doing a disservice to their nation by not using their skills in the workforce. So I wrote his two comments on the board and tried to point out his hypocrisy in words that all the other ladies would understand. Not a good teaching moment for me, but at least he thought about his attitudes for a few minutes.

I once had a student named John tell me that when he gets married he wants his wife to work. Most Korean women gradually become housewives after marriage. Some wait until they have kids, but it's very uncommon for women to stay in careers after their weddings. As my student is studying to become an accountant, I thought he would have some rational financial viewpoint about two incomes, less pressure on the man to be the breadwinner, self worth and satisfaction from having her own goals. Nope. Why does he want her to work? So that she'll do her hair and wear makeup every day. 11 work days left... 10 adult classes to go.

It must be said that neither John nor David have girlfriends. Surprised?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home