Thursday, January 08, 2004

Vegetable Soup For One.

There's something both lonely and comforting about Campbells soups. Childhood, winter afternoons skating in Dover, quick easy lunches in Olympus, and now a reminder of home in Seoul. But for a year these soups have given me only one bowl of memories, western tastes, and sodium. Never enough, always leaving me wanting a second helping, but happy. Today I wish there was someone to share with.

I've never been particulary good at being alone. Especially dining alone... For all of my strengths, getting to know me certainly hasn't been one. Now, at 25, a world away from my friends and suddenly without my boyfriend, I'm being forced to get acquainted. My week of locking myself into my half-empty apartment has come to an end. Starting today (well, really tomorrow as I literally have less than $5 to my name until I get paid) I will do the things I should have starting doing when I was 18. This city will be all the company that I need, and my interests and I will be free to get to know each other a bit more.

As for the soup, I guess that second bowl can be lunch tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home