Sunday, January 04, 2004

The car kicking was rather out of character for Mr. White. I'm usually the one who can't contain anger, then again, he did almost get run over by what could only have been one of the least aware drivers I've ever seen. Sure, she was only going about 15 km an hour on a narrow side street, but how could she have not seen him??? There is a dent the size of Toby White's left dress shoe on a white Hyundai somewhere in Seoul. At least it wasn't me.

And that being said, it must be time to update my blog for my dedicated few readers, as there have been some changes....

Toby has returned to Canada to take a job in the wintry capital, Ottawa. He's currently huddled up in a shivering ball in Calgary's -27 degree deep freeze, while I'm in Seoul moving the apartment around to make room for his replacement (an American who arrives on Tuesday, that's all I know). I've moved my desk into our, sigh, my room in case he/she is a creepy. We don't like creepies. I've decided to stay in Korea for a while, at first because I had grand ideas about paying off the notebook I bought in October before returning home. Now it's simply to await the coming of March, then April, when I will be hitting Thailand, maybe Beijing and Hong Kong, and meeting mon frere in Prague where we will begin our somewhat eclectic mini-tour of Europe. I have, however, started applying for jobs in the motherland, so I may be home sooner if someone is fooled by my resume into thinking that I'm a somewhat competent individual.

We managed a jaunt to China over Christmas and had a fabulous time there. I'll write about that as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime, you can check out Toby's fotki site for a taste of Christmas day. If you view it as a slideshow, you won't get the delightful commentary we thoughtfully crafted over bevies in the hotel lounge in the evening on Christmas day... We spent 6 glorious days in Beijing and I want to go back when I leave Korea. It was amazing. And cheap like borscht.

Toby left on January 1st, and suffered some sort of 22 hour journey homeward into the chills of Calgary's 2004. I, on the other hand, experienced a balmy winter weekend in Seoul with my girls from Gumi. Some friends came up to make sure I didn't cry alone in my apartment all weekend, and dragged me out for Indian food, movies, and a stay at the Dragon Hill Lodge on the US army base in Seoul. It was very cool. Americans are funny. And the US army is filled with fire and brimstone baptists, like the one I met named either Robert or Tony (he was a bit confusing). He's praying for me, even though he doesn't like Canadians. We're peace loving, yet we refuse to fight to protect peace. Go figure. Then he told me that no girl with a nose piercing could be a decent role model for Korean children learning English. That's when Rhoni and I finished our sangria and left. He was from Tennessee. We spent some time drinking with some Sudanese fellows in Itaewan - one was the chairman of his students' association in university, who described some very interesting activities that he was involved in during his tenure. Fighting to free a country from military rule might be a bit more, what's the word, meaningful than my opposition to differential tuition... staved it off, I did. Staved. Staying on base was rather interesting, but no details are necessary other than mentioning the 5 girls sharing a hotel room ahem, and the deli in the basement is amazing. Best tuna sandwich ever. Even better than the bagel ones I used to make. Super yum.

Work starts again tomorrow for me. I'm teaching 9 classes, which means I'll be making lots of extra cash, but will also be pressed for free time (less time to pine away for my government relater, I suppose). I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on the status of the creepy, and on my solo adventures in Korea. Sadly, there will likely be no more car kickins to report now that Toby is back in the land of the orderly and the free. And the non-spitters. Oh how I wish the horking would stop...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home