Wednesday, June 30, 2004

So I was on CBC Newsorld last night for my last installment of the youth election panel for Canada Votes. The panel consisted of all of myself and one other girl, being interviewed through an ear piece and staring into a camera, but it was fun. We did 4 segments throughout the campaign, discussing the impact of the election on youth voters (18-30). I discovered last night just how appallingly low voter turnout was, with Elections Canada unofficial numbers at 60.5% of eligible voters. I was hoping for at least 65%, a rather low standard, but one that I thought could be met, given how close the election was predicted to be. Hopefully the coalition building that's bound to occur throughout the next two months will be enough to start to repair some faith in our leaders' abilities to work together. I didn't actually get to watch most of the election results, due to my late decision to become a scrutineer for Justin Thompson, the Liberal candidate who ran against Rob Anders in Calgary West. Due to a less than qualified DRO, I didn't leave the polling station until 10:15 p.m. (polls closed at 7:30). There was a miscount that they couldn't seem to solve, and I finally reached an adequate level of frustration (I was missing out on free beer, after all) indicate to the vote counters that their addition on the vote tally sheet was incorrect. Imagine, the fate of the Calgary West left in the hands of mathematics wizard Barb Wright... ;)

I managed to make it to the "Victory" party in time to snatch up one drink ticket, and watch Paul Martin's speech. Watching the ballots being counted was an interesting experience, but next time I think I'll make sure I'm in a place where I can watch the results. That way I can see who Ontario chose for our winner at the same time as everyone else...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home